Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 - FYS 998

 

Vehicle Details:

Registration Number:    FYS 998
Chassis Type:   Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1
Chassis Number:    582374
Body Type And Seating:    Alexander H44/34F
Body Number:     5595
Date New:    December 1958
Original Operator (Fleet Number):    Glasgow Corporation (LA1)
     

Vehicle Information:

 

The Leyland Atlantean was a revolutionary design which not only changed the appearance of buses in most British towns and cities but prepared the way for driver only operation.

The first production Atlantean in service in Scotland, LA1 came to Glasgow direct from the 1958 Commercial Motor Show to run from Ibrox Garage. It also carries the first body to be completed at Messrs Alexander's new works, which subsequently built well over 2,000 Atlantean bodies.

LA1 moved to Knightswood Garage in 1962 and stayed there for the rest of its working life other than a month at Partick in 1964.

LA1 ran for the Corporation until March 1973 when it was relegated to driver training duties. It entered preservation in 1974, one year after Glasgow Corporation became GGPTE.

Following the development of an improved front-end design Glasgow Corporation Transport and its successor purchased a further 1,448 Atlanteans between 1962 and 1981.

LA1 is shown in the livery carried by GCT buses between 1959 and 1973.

LA1 is on loan from the Glasgow Museum of Transport, currently it normally resides in the Museum's Resource Centre in Nitshill.

Photos below (all copyright Iain MacGregor):-

1. In original condition with one piece engine cover approaching Ibrox Garage in May 1961.

2. In the later livery in Highburgh Road in August 1966.

3. As it is now in Bridgeton Bus Garage.

Vehicle Gallery: