|Registration Number:||WG 2373|
|Chassis Type:||Leyland Lion LT5B|
|Body Type And Seating:||Burlingham B35F
|Date New:||August 1934|
|Original Operator (Fleet Number):||W. Alexander & Sons Ltd. (P169)|
One of the oldest buses in the collection, WG 2373 is a Leyland LT5B Lion, built in 1934 with Alexander 35 seat body and powered by one the first 6 cylinder diesel engines. (8.6 litre)
P169 served out of Alexander's Kilsyth Depot, operating the Glasgow to Inverness route on a daily basis for first 10 years of service. Many operators chose to rebody their vehicles to extend their working lives during this period. So P169 was re-bodied in 1947 by Burlingham of Blackpool. The benefits of this type of rebuild are shown by the longevity achieved by the mechanical parts of these vehicles. Upon withdrawn by Alexander's in 1960 the engine and chassis had completed 26 years service.
After withdrawal in 1960, it went to a Banff showman and in 1976 to the Strathspey Railway, Aviemore. It passed to Sandy Scott of Elgin by mid 1980 where it remained until Will Hamer of Cumbria Classic Coaches purchased it in 1998. Cumbria Classic Coaches use and maintain many vintage vehicles and P169 was used in regular service and on private hires.
It remained with Cumbria until October 2004 when P169 retuned north to join the collection at the GVVT where it can now enjoy a long retirement.