|Registration Number:||NMS 358|
|Chassis Type:||AEC Reliance|
|Body Type And Seating:||Alexander C41F|
|Date New:||March 1960|
|Original Operator (Fleet Number):||Alexander (AC147)|
Another example of a Scottish "dual purpose" country bus to 1950s design.
The Alexander companies bought over 300 AEC Reliances to various specifications between 1954 and 1964, the last being withdrawn around 1980.
This one is fitted with an AEC AH470 engine of 7.7 litres capacity, 5 speed synchromesh gearbox and vacuum brakes. New to W. Alexander & Sons in 1960 as fleet number AC177, passing to the newly formed Alexander (Northern) company in 1961 and operated in the Elgin area until 1975.
Operated on the North East trunk routes of the day such as the 5 (Aberdeen to Inverness via Banff) and 7 (Aberdeen to Elgin via Huntly). After use by Northern it became a "berry bus" to transport raspberry pickers in the Dundee area. Purchased from a dealer at Carnoustie in a very run down condition in 1992 and after extensive restoration work is now presented in the yellow/cream livery adopted by Alexander Northern.
Much mechanical work has been done to the vehicle, with major engine work carried out by its owners. The vehicle is now tested to PSV standard.
The photos below show NMS 358 (1) on tour in Alyth, (2) having arrived in Farraline Park, Inverness, when with Alexander (Northern), (3) in Fyffe's yard in Carnoustie when purchased for preservation, and (4) participating in the Kirkby Stephen rally.