GYS 896D - Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1

 

Vehicle Details:

Registration Number:    GYS 896D
Chassis Type:   Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1
Chassis Number:    L43846
Body Type And Seating:    Alexander A H44/34F
Body Number:     A1/364/118
Date New:    September 1966
Original Operator (Fleet Number):    Glasgow Corporation (LA320)
     

Vehicle Information:

 

Glasgow Corporation purchased 1449 Leyland Atlanteans between 1958 and 1981. Although built by Leyland the early Atlanteans for Glasgow were badged as Albion Atlantean. Albion was a subsidiary of Leyland, based in Scotstoun. Alexander of Falkirk bodied all of the Corporation's deliveries during this time.

In the late 1960's after the closure of the city's tram network there were a number of bus garages throughout the city. Some of these were new whilst some of these were former tram depots converted for further use. In 1973 Greater Glasgow PTE, the Corporation's successor, had depots at Bridgeton (now the home of the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust), Gartcraig, Ibrox, Knightswood, Langside, Larkfield, Maryhill, Newlands, Parkhead, Partick and Possilpark. Of these only Larkfield and Parkhead remain.

LA320 was new to Bridgeton, and subsequently operated from Partick (1972) and Newlands (1975) depots before being withdrawn in 1979.

After withdrawal, it was converted to open-top by Windsorian Coaches, and in this form was sold to Guide Friday in 1990. It was bought for preservation in 2001 and has since been re-roofed with the roof from LA391 (MUS 276F) and painted in its original livery.  Considering how numerous the PDR Atlantean was in Glasgow at one time, very few now survive.

The photo below is of LA320 in Shawlands in the livery of Greater Glasgow PTE

 

Vehicle Gallery: