|Registration Number:||FYS 999|
|Chassis Type:||Daimler CVD6-30 (Gardner 6LW)|
|Body Type And Seating:||Alexander H41/32R|
|Date New:||February 1959|
|Original Operator (Fleet Number):||Glasgow Corporation (D217)|
D217 is the first 30ft-long bus bought by Glasgow Corporation Transport, and was exhibited at the Scottish Motor Show in the Kelvin Hall in November 1957 before entering service from Langside Garage in March 1958.
It turned out to be the only long rear-entrance Daimler, all others being the standard length of 27ft 6in.
Its original Daimler CD650 engine was replaced with a Gardner 6LW unit in 1968 in the interests of standardisation.
After moving to Larkfield Garage in 1971, D217 transferred with the rest of the fleet from Glasgow Corporation to GGPTE in 1973. After withdrawal in 1975, it spent some years in storage until being sold to Greyhound of Arbroath in 1978. It was acquired for preservation in 1979 by a private owner.
It unexpectedly returned to service on the Glasgow City Tour run by Glasgow Corporation Transport Limited between 2003-4.
Sold with the Tour business to First Glasgow in March 2004, on return to Larkfield this bus was surprisingly returned to its original fleetnumber, D217, as well as being 39999 in the First national numbering scheme.
Finally, it was sold to Glasgow City Council for a return to preservation in 2006.